Re: mbox download username/password - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: mbox download username/password
Date
List pgsql-www

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Further to discussion at PGCon this morning, webkit based browsers no
longer display the realm text when displaying password prompts. This
was used by our archives code to tell the user what username/password
to enter when downloading mbox files (which are loosely protected
against bot downloads as they contain email addresses).

The attached patch adds a note to the appropriate template to convey
the username/password info on the page. It's currently untested as I
don't have a pgarchives test environment.

Magnus - can you test/apply please?

It's not just for mbox files though, it's also for viewing the raw messages. Don't we have the same problem there?

FWIW, this seems to be treated as a bug in Chrome: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=544244 (comment 22 and forward, in particular the reference to the standard at #35)

So perhaps we should give it some time and see if they change?