Re: Commit subject line - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Commit subject line
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-05-03 14:54:23 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>> >Yeah, that's news to me too.  I've been using a 75-char line length for
>> >all my commit messages since we switched to git.  It's frequently tough
>> >enough to get a useful headline into 75 chars --- I can't see trying to
>> >do 50.
>>
>> man git-commit says:
>>
>>    Though not required, it’s a good idea to begin the commit message
>>    with a single short (less than 50 character) line summarizing the
>>    change, followed by a blank line and then a more thorough
>>    description. Tools that turn commits into email, for example, use
>>    the first line on the Subject: line and the rest of the commit in
>>    the body.
>>
>> I'd be happy to use 75 or whatever if we could convince the email tools not
>> to truncate the subject lines at 50.
>
> Its worth to notice that neither git nor the kernel adhere to that
> limit...

FWIW, the tool we use to generate the commit emails truncate it at 80
(minus the "pgsql: " header). We can increase that, but it only fixes
the email one, and not the one that people look at on the web...

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/