Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2014-08-26 16:41:44 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 8/26/14 12:40 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> > I think the first reason is gone now, and the risk/damage of the two
>> > connections is probably smaller than running out of WAL. -x is a good
>> > default for smaller systems, but -X is a safer one for bigger ones. So
>> > I agree that changing the default mode would make sense.
>>
>> I would seriously consider just removing one of the modes.  Having two
>> modes is complex enough, and then having different defaults in different
>> versions, and fuzzy recommendations like, it's better for "smaller
>> systems", it's quite confusing.
>
> Happy with removing the option and just accepting -X for backward
> compat.

Works for me - this is really the cleaner way of doing it...

If we do that, perhaps we should backpatch a deprecation notice into
the 9.4 docs?

>> I don't think it's a fundamental problem to say, you need 2 connections
>> to use this feature.  (For example, you need a second connection to
>> issue a cancel request.  Nobody has ever complained about that.)
>
> Well, replication connections are more limited in number than normal
> connections... And cancel requests are very short lived.

Yeah. But as long as we document it clearly, we should be OK I think.
And it's fairly clearly documented now - just need to be sure not to
remove that when changing the -x stuff.