Re: Update to docs root pages and navigation - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Update to docs root pages and navigation
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:33 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 2:24 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-Nov-23, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> > I'm also attaching a screenshot of the main docs page with the
>> > changes, for those that can't easily test a website patch. (Nevermind
>> > the actual versions listed, as this is off a dev version of the
>> > database and not up to date)
>>
>> .. I find it a bit annoying that if I want the current docs, I have to
>> avoid looking at the table, or I'll get confused until I see the button
>> sitting above.  IMO it would be better to include "13" in the table as
>> well as the button to avoid this effect (I realize this is redundant).
>>
>> Maybe if the button had red text that said "13" it would not be
>> necessary.
>>
>> Alternatively: remove the button, include "13" in the table, and have it
>> contain a blue tag-looking label that says "current" or something like
>> that.  (While at it, and to make the current dev cycle less of an
>> exception: change the "Development version" row to have text "14dev" in
>> red plus a blue label that says "In development".)
>>

> FWIW I noticed this to, the re-read the email and noticed:
>
> "(Nevermind the actual versions listed, as this is off a dev version of the
> database and not up to date)"
>
> And figured the two were related.

That is indeed exactly what I was referring to :)

> An idea while I'm here - It is still a couple of clicks and screen searching to get to the current docs.  How about
anicon on the main page, next to the search icon (more useful for frequent users), that takes you immediately to the
currentdocumentation webpage?  And/Or a third button in the banner (download, new?) for "Current Manual" (more useful
fornewer readers)?

Yeah, it makes sense to do something like that, I agree. I'll take a
look at that as a separate patch later, and post a separate proposal.

//Magnus