Re: EPEL and PowerTools to instructions - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: EPEL and PowerTools to instructions
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 8:45 PM Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> [Adding Dave]
>>
>> On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 11:05 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> > For a number of packages in the PostgreSQL yum repository, one needs
>> > to enable EPEL to make them work, and sometimes also PowerTools.
>>
>> Right, PostGIS needs PowerTools on RHEL 8.
>>
>> > This information is currently only available as archived news on
>> > the yum website, AFAICT.
>> >
>> > We should somehow work this into the download instructions I think.
>>
>> EDB recently did similar work here:
>>
>> https://repos.enterprisedb.com/
>>
>> Dave, any chance we can do something like this for the community repo
>> as well?
>

> It's certainly possible, but it's not a trivial amount of work (and the edb-repos code couldn't really be reused in
thecommunity site, even if I got permission to do so). Also bear in mind that repos.enterprisedb.com was written to
supportproducts like PEM which have additional post-installation setup requirements, which is probably not the case for
mostthings on yum.postgresql.org.

> My suggestion would be to add the EPEL/PowerTools repos as optional steps in what we have now, with a note in the
instructionsexplaining when they might be needed.

Not having looked at the EDB implementation in detail, but I agree
that having this as a documented optional step should be fine --
that's what I meant originally as well :)

Is there some (easy) way to determine exactly which packages need
which of them, that we could somehow even turn into a list on the site
(could be directly on yum.postgresql.org or on the main website
depending on the size).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/