Re: [pgsql-www] Custom sortation for file browser - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Custom sortation for file browser
Date
List pgsql-www

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
On 10/06/2017 10:16 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com <mailto:xof@thebuild.com>> wrote:

    We probably want some kind of custom sortation for the file browser
    page at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/
    <https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/>, so v10 is not the last
    entry...

The file browser currently just sorts by filesystem order. I agree that it probably wouldn't hurt to do something about that, but it affects other directories as well (such as the binaries and the snapshots. Also a bunch of directories in the repo subdirectories, but I'm not sure we care about those), and they don't use the same naming conventions. So we need something that's more flexible than a quick-fix (which is why this hasn't already been done).

this would also be much less of an issue (for the /source/ version at least) if we didnt actually display 320+ different "versions" on the same page, thats just insane :(
This would for example be much easier if we like had one-directory per major version or even split into "current" and "historical/unsupported/..."

That's true, but I'm not sure we can realistically change that now. There are many people and systems with scripts that rely on that, AFAIK.

Turns out there was already quite an ugly hack to deal with this, so I just made it a bit more ugly. Once the caches expire I believe sorting should be correct.