Re: Archiving of pgsql-announce - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Archiving of pgsql-announce
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> > With the changes to pgsql-announce made a couple of months ago to have
> > it synced up with the news on www.postgresql.org, we are now
> > "archiving" news posts both on www.postgresql.org/about/newsarchive/
> > and on www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-announce, with the second one
> > archiving it without the formatting.
> >
> > I suggest that we stop the archiving of the list itself, and stick to
> > just the news archive. We can also update the list description to
> > explicitly say this with a link back of course.
> >
> > (We will of course continue to *send* it to the list, I'm just talking
> > about the archives)
> >
> > AFAICT the only actual lost functionality in this would be that you
> > can't get old news in mbox format.
>
> I think we also lose the functionality to do a search on the news
> archive, no?

No, the news archive is part of the main site search so it should get
any hits in that.

Now since it's the site search you can't limit the search by say date
range, which you could with -announce, so I guess you will get
somewhat decreased search functionality, but it's not gone.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/