Re: Devel docs on website reloading - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Devel docs on website reloading
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 18/11/2020 12:56, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Today, we build and update the docs on
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/ are rebuilt and deployed by the
> > buildfarm automatically every 4 hours.
> >
> > If there are no changes at all made to the docs, they are *still*
> > kicked out of all caches and the search indexes are rebuilt, because
> > we change the "time of load" at the top of the page.
> >
> > It would be trivial to change this so that it only actually updates
> > pages if they have been changed.
> >
> > However, the result of that is that the timestamp on the docs pages
> > will then stay unchanged until there is an actual commit that has made
> > a docs change. (It would still reload the full set of docs at once,
> > just skip them completely when there are no changes at all, so the
> > value between different pages would remain unchanged)
> >
> > I think that's a good change, and I don't really see a usecase where
> > having that date update every 4 hours "just because", but before
> > making a change I wanted to throw it out here and see if someone else
> > has a usecase where the current behaviour would be better?
>
> Seems reasonable. While we're at it, would it be possible to print the
> commit id next to the timestamp? Or instead of the timestamp.

That is actually much harder, because the docs are loaded out of the
development snapshot .tar.gz (in order to keep the loading process
identical to that we use for release docs), and that one doesn't have
it...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/