Re: Missing archive entry? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Missing archive entry?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I happened to click on the second-to-last link on this wiki page:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/OptimizerHintsDiscussion
>>
>> which links here:
>>   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2011-02/msg00148.php
>>
>> which then redirects to:
>>   http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4D4B5A73.3080302@agliodbs.com
>>
>> and gives me a 404. I've got that message-id in my own mail archive, so it
>> seems like that link should be valid. Any reason that page is 404'd?
>
> Uh.  The reason the email is not there is because for some reason the
> mbox is missing a newline between the previous email and that one.  See
> here, scroll down:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/alpine.DEB.2.00.1102031732470.30983@asgard.lang.hm
>
> I found one more case of this:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/alpine.DEB.2.00.1102060412580.8162@asgard.lang.hm
>
> The source mboxes for these in the mj2 server are missing the newline;
> I'm betting this is a Majordomo2 bug.

Yes, it is. There are such bugs at a few places in the old archives.
This is one of the reasons why the new archives don't rely on
importing the mbox files, but instead import the emails as delivered
in real time.