Re: Defaults for replication/backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Defaults for replication/backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think we are far too close to beta1 to begin bikeshedding this.
>> Changing the defaults is not going to be uncontroversial, and it's not
>> something I think we should rush into.

> I think that may be a case of the good old letting perfection get in the
> way of progress. We can be pretty sure that whatever we decide to do (now
> or later) will not be perfect. But we can be equally sure that it will be
> better than what we have today in most cases. But that's just me...

I'm with Robert.  Such a discussion is morally indistinguishable from a
new feature, and so we shouldn't consider it at this point in the cycle
--- even if it seemed likely that we could easily get to a consensus,
which I doubt.  If we'd dealt with the issue back in February when the
previous discussion happened, that'd be fine, but now's not the time
to decide it has to be resolved for 9.6.

Fair enough, I'll drop it for now. And try to figure out how to move it along again once we've opened the next branch.