Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 4:31 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 5/17/19 10:19 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 08:14:33AM -0400, Evan Macbeth wrote:
>> Long time lurker, first time poster. :)
>>

>>     80% - 90% of the items listed in the release notes aren't interesting
>>     to users, but *which* 80% - 90% it is varies. The release notes don't
>>     have to function as a press release, because we'll have an actual
>>     press release instead.
>>     --
>>     Peter Geoghegan
>>

>> I think Peter's point here is really important. I read the release notes and
>> the press releases, both, from a very different perspective than others, but I
>> find both very valuable. The release notes benefit from completeness and
>> detail, in my observer's opinion.
>
> As I just stated, if the press release was exhaustive, we could have the
> release notes be more detailed, but this is not the case.  I don't think
> we want to get into a case where the items listed on the preess release
> get a different level of detail from the items not listed.

To step back, it's important to understand the intended goals of the
press release.

I view the primary goal of the press release for a major version to be a
springboard to further dive into what is in the release. It helps to
give some global context to new features / changes and is an effective
"getting started" point. It needs just enough details for people to be
interested, and if they want more info, they can go to the release notes
+ docs.

The release notes then can provide additional details on what said
features (effectively a readable "diff" between versions) are, and, if
needed, the documentation can provide even greater details.

There is in fact a third layer to consider as well, which is the release announcement. This can (and sometimes are) different from the press release.

So you have the press release. Then more details can be added to the release announcement. Then even more details can be added to the release notes.