Re: [pgsql-www] Wiki "editor" privileges request - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Wiki "editor" privileges request
Date
List pgsql-www

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Charles Clavadetscher <clavadetscher@swisspug.org> wrote:
Hello

> Not easily. It would certainly be *possible*, but you'd have to verify
> that every possible "downstream" consumer of it supports changing it and
> then actually implement it. This include both our own home-built systems
> (which would probably be "most doable" since they are off the same
> blueprints, but depending on exactly where else they store the username
> it could cause a lot of issues) and things like our redmine installation.
>
> UPDATE:ing the primary key in a distributed system has non-trivial
> implications...

What is the issue with redmine?

I'm not sure there is one, I haven't investigated. Perhaps they do have an API that supports renaming accounts?

Of course you also need some level of recovery or replay of the changes in case a system is temporarily offline when you change it etc.

Maybe it would help to include some information about allowed characters
for the community account name on

https://www.postgresql.org/account/signup/

Just to avoid, at least, problems that are caused by special characters
like "@" in a mail address, as was here the case. It can happen easier
that somebody gets to the idea to use their mail address instead of a
nickname, because many internet sites force them to do so.

Just an idea, although as I mentioned before, this does not really seem
to be an issue coming up every second day.

We could remove the support for using the email address again. But ee did have a fair number of users who complained that they couldn't use their email address as the userid back before we supported it. And I think it's only mediawiki that's incapable of handling it, so for any user that doesn't want to edit the wiki it's a regression...

At one point I was really hoping mediawiki would fix it, but given the state of it I've stopped expecting them to fix anything at all, let alone something like this.