Re: 9.5 Release press coverage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: 9.5 Release press coverage
Date
Re: 9.5 Release press coverage  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> The wording itself wasn't very good, with the way the "announced" verb was
> used. We certainly can't prevent them from doing that, but we should forward
> that feedback and ask that they be more careful about that wording the next
> time.

I'd really like to understand what wording would be found acceptable
to the community.  I think it's natural for a press release put out by

Specifically "today announced the general availability of PostgreSQL 9.5, released by the Postgres community". The subject is actually better and is what should've used in that place as well ("EnterpriseDB Announces Improved Database Integration, Scalability and Data Analytics Productivity with Newly Released PostgreSQL 9.5" -- because that's actually what the announcement is about).

But the point is that it's not EnterpriseDB that announces the availability of PostgreSQL 9.5 -- that's the PostgreSQL community.

and
"To learn about PostgreSQL 9.5, email sales(at)enterprisedb(dot)com"

I'd venture to say that your sales people aren't really the best people to talk about PostgreSQL 9.5  :P They are probably the right people to talk about EDB's offerings around PostgreSQL 9.5 of course.

Overall I stand by thinking that it's certainly not perfect (nothing ever is), but the majority of it is perfectly fine. It just opens and closes on the slightly wrong note.

a company to begin with the name of that company.  The press release
says in the first sentence that the release was made by the PostgreSQL
community.   Simon seems to think that's unacceptable, but I can say

Are we looking at the same thing? In mine it says that in the first sentence of the third paragraph, not the first sentence (4th paragraph if you include the tagline). I'm looking at http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAOW=PeL3KBBOFDhQBR2GCw-s2afEw8iWy+dF38PaiYGa4=VrVQ@mail.gmail.com.

The rest of the release I personally think is fair. It focuses on EDB developed features, that's fair game. It mentions other features without explicitly marketing who wrote them - I think that's fair as well. (It *does* actually mention features written by others, such as BRIN and RLS. Which is definitely fair!)