Re: Bugs in new announcement system - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Bugs in new announcement system
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 10:45 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov  9, 2020 at 03:32:58PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > This is certainly possible. But given the number of other people who
> > have contacted us with questions around *different* things in that
> > system after the change, I'm willing to guess that the number are
> > fairly low. And we've generally seen about the same number of posts /
> > week as we had before, so there has certainly not been a big drop.
> > Whereas the actual delivery rate has gone up *massively*.
>
> Why has the delivery rate increased?  Was it related to this change?

Numerous reasons. The main ones being we are now in control of the
message and can assure it is properly DKIM signed with no violations,
and also in control of the sending domain making sure that
DKIM/SPF/DMARC policies are correctly configured to actually send to a
mailinglist. And having both a html and plaintext part consistently
across messages (yes, some systems do actually consider emails without
a html part spam these days -- the opposite of what it used to be).
And longer term we'd expect the fact that people can
subscribe/unsubscribe to individual topics are going to make it more
likely that they don't just hit "this is spam" -- previously you could
subscribe to -announce to get our release announcements but would also
receive a lot of things entirely unrelated to that, with the only
common topic being postgres.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/