Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 5:39 PM Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/20 8:04 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> > I am using the PostgreSQL binary downloads for Debian from your apt
> > repositories.
> Looks good to me. I'm assuming you are leaving the Postgres version the
> same though. Is that correct?

Yes, I already use the latest stable via the apt setup (12 I think).

> Also, if it is not already planned, to be on the safe side throw in a
> backup of some sort just before shutting down the server.

Yes indeed!

Also don't forget that on an upgrade from Debian 9 to 10, you most likely need to reindex your string indexes, see https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes