Re: A new mailing list for PG Day France ? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: A new mailing list for PG Day France ?
Date
List pgsql-www

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021, 18:25 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 04:08:08PM +0100, Damien Clochard wrote:
> Hi everyone !
>
> ( I'm not sure this is the right place for this request, if not feel free to
> redirect me to the appropriate channel )
>
> The PG Day France is the main French-Speaking PostgreSQL event since 2008.
> The conference is  organized by volunteers using a mailing list hosted on
> the postgresql.fr plateform with a mailman2 instance (
> https://listes.postgresql.fr ). This mailman service is now very old and we
> (the PGFR web administrators) are thinking about shutting down it
> progressively.
>
> My question here is : Do you think that the PG Day France mailing list could
> be hosted on lists.postgresql.org ?

I don't think it makes sense to be creating community mailing lists for
this purpose since there is so much overhead to their creation.  I think
you are better using an email service.

I like you I don't see any particular proven with doing that - the overhead of creating a new list is very small in the list system.

However, right now that would be a problem with the archives. Our pglister system fully supports multi domains so we would preferably set up something like @lists.postgresql.fr there (because I assume you'd be interested in any other lists that are hosted there as well?) . But our archives don't support this, and would generate collissions. So unless you'd want to run your own archives separately from the main ones, that functionality would have to be added first (which is on the list of things we want already, but hasn't been done yet)

/Magnus