Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 7:04 PM, Jaime Casanova <jaime.casanova@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 6 October 2015 at 08:05, Nathan Wagner <nw+pg@hydaspes.if.org> wrote:
> A lot of the reports aren't bugs at all, but requests for help.  My
> guess is that the users either don't know where to ask or don't
> understand the difference between a bug and not knowing how to do what
> they want to do.  Perhaps a more thorough explaination on the submission
> form would be useful.

the real problem here is that fill the bug report doesn't force you to
register in a ML, while asking for help in a ML will. and a lot of
people don't want to register in a ML, they just want a specific
question answered so i don't think any change in the form will avoid
that.

It doesn't actually. You can post to the bugs list without being subscribed and it hits moderation. If you fill out the bug form without being subscribed, it hits exactly the same moderation. There is no difference - the bug form basically just sends an email with your address as the from one.

It might be that we don't make that clear, but that's how it works :)

Maybe we need a "question" form thta does the same thing but doesn't assign a bugid and just sends an email to -general instead?