Re: Database designer - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Database designer
Date
Re: Database designer  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgadmin-hackers

On Mar 6, 2012 9:23 AM, "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> >
> > On such a huge patch, it's really hard to work without commiting some
> > parts of it. So I decided to commit each milestone of the project. I
> > agree with you that it lacks lots of tweaking, but it's not that bad.
>
> There are numerous basic issues (such as dialog design, and even
> labelling text) which most certainly should have been resolved prior
> to commit - they are a matter of maintaining basic standards - and
> that's not to mention that it's more or less impossible to use as
> designed on at least Mac. To quote a French friend of mine from June
> last year: "And without usability, it can't be commited in the pgadmin
> repository."

Meh, who cares about mac? ;)

On a serious note, perhaps this patch was/is big enough that it would've warranted an actual development branch in the main repo to allow for easier testing and merging by more people while it progresses? It won't magically solve any problems of course, but it might be worth reconsidering the "branching policy" now that we've used git for a while and people are more used to it?

/Magnus