Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2016 5:03 PM, "Andres Freund" <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> FWIW, looking at the last few commitfests, aside heroic and
>> unsustainable efforts by individual CF managers, I haven't noticed any
>> effect of when fests started/stopped. Aside from a short time increase
>> in unfinished patches being posted the day before the next CFs starts.

> Yeah, we seem to be firmly stuck at two month long commitfests started
> every two months. The plan was for them to be one month..

> Maybe we should try just very drastically cutting them at one month and
> bumping everything left. No questions asked, no extra time for anybody.
> Regardless of if it's the first or the last commitfest.

> Just to see what happens. Because what we are doing now clearly doesn't
> work..

I do not think commitfest length is the problem (though surely it's not
working as intended).  What happened with 9.5 is we forked the 9.6

I agree that it's not the same problem. I do believe that it is *a* problem though, and a fairly significant one too. Because there's *never* any downtime from CF mode, regardless of where in the cycle we are.

While not the same, we need to fix both.

We will not get back to on-schedule releases unless we can keep -hackers
working on release testing/stabilization when it's time to do that,
rather than being distracted by shiny new stuff going into the next
release.

Agreed.