Re: Ubuntu Precise and auto startup of pg databases - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Ubuntu Precise and auto startup of pg databases
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Christofer C. Bell
<christofer.c.bell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Tony Dare <wadedare4703@comcast.net> writes:
>> > I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but i found that the
>> > /etc/init.d/postgresql script simply would not start up my databases
>> > after a reboot.  though it worked fine just after creating the database
>> > and getting all the config files in the expected places.  Was able to
>> > down and up the dbs all day long, if I wished. Then I rebooted and there
>> > was no databases started.  Executing /etc/init.d/postgresql start 9.2
>> > resulted in "No database clusters on the system" or suchlike.
>>
>> > I tracked the problem down to the script calling on pg_lsclusters, which
>> > in turn looks for a /var/run/postgresql directory.  All well and good,
>> > except that /var/run/postgresql is on a tempfs filesystem and is wiped
>> > out after a reboot. (Q: should that even be on a tempfs?)
>>
>> You should complain about that to the Ubuntu packager (ie, file an
>> Ubuntu bug).  It's unlikely that that person reads this list ...
>

> I'm not sure even that's appropriate.  The version of PostgreSQL that comes
> with Ubuntu 12.04, is 9.1, not 9.2 (there's an option for 8.3).  Either the
> original poster has made a typo in his post, or he's installed PostgreSQL
> either by hand or from an unofficial package repository.

The repository at apt.postgresql.org fully supports 9.2 on Ubuntu
12.04, so it could be that.

However, the version referenced is postgresql 9.2.0.4, which is not a
PostgreSQL version number. But if it means 9.2.4, then that could
certainly be it.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/