Re: Update to docs root pages and navigation - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Update to docs root pages and navigation
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 12:03 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On 11/23/20 5:49 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> I would bikeshed the text on this slightly, perhaps: "Current
> >> Documentation" or "Latest Documentation".
> >>
> >> I'd be ok with "View Current Documentation" as well.
> >
> > I had that first, but then realized that we have least previously
> > separated out "documentation" (all of it) from "Manuals" (explicitly
> > the stuff built from the SGML sources). I didn't want to change that
> > terminology as part of a restructure, as it would probably have
> > effects on other places too.
>
> "Current Manual", "Latest Manual", or "View Current Manual" then :)

Oh, I thought your issue with it was specifically the use of the word
Manual and not Documentation :)

While that may be further nitpicking, but those aren't correct are
they? That is, *all* the manuals we put up are the current (or latest)
ones, they're just for different versions. Even in our archive we only
keep the very latest ones for each version, not actually older
manuals. So "current" is only really correct if it also includes
"version"..

I assume what you were after, without saying so, was to make it shorter?

We could make it just "current version", but I'm not sure that's
really an improvement?

Or just "view the manual" and assume that anybody who actually cares
about a specific version will go directly to the table, maybe with an
ingress text of "To view the manual for an older version, pick your
version in the table below" above the table?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/