Re: Submitting Community Events - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Submitting Community Events
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Ervin Weber <webervin@gmail.com> wrote:

On Dec 7, 2017 03:43, "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi,

There is a new feature on the website available to event organizers on the event submission page[1]: the ability to submit your event as a community event!

A community event is an event that adheres to the “Community Conference Recognition” guidelines[2]. If your event follows these guidelines, please check the “Community Event” when you submit your event.  Upon selecting “Community Event,” a text box will appear asking you to describe why your event is a community event.  Please do your best to reference the guidelines[2], which are linked to from the form.  This process is supposed to be self-certifying: moderators will perform basic verification but will not reach out unless there are outstanding questions.

"Community Events" are displayed in their own group on the website.  We are working on adding a little badge next to the community events to highlight them!

If you have an upcoming event that is already approved and you believe it should be listed as a Community Event, please send an email to webmaster@postgresql.org explaining why it is a community event and a moderator will review.

If you have any questions on the “Community Conference Recognition"[2] please send an email to webmaster@postgresql.org and a moderator will gladly help you.  Note that statements containing must indicates REQUIREMENT and ones with should indicates RECOMMENDATION per RFC 2119[3].

Thanks - now please help us show off all of the great Postgres community activity occurring around the world!

Jonathan

Hello,

Will it be possible to add local user-group meetups?  If they do follow guidelines of "Community Conference Recognition", but are organized by "bunch of people, who are not registered as any kind of official organisation"?

For example to Estonian group meetup yesterday came a person from Lithuania, who came to Estonia and stayed in hotel just to get some extra PostgreSQL time. If it would be possible to publish map/calendar of all PostgreSQL meetups in some “central place” there would be more chances for curious people find meetings nearby, and for small countries like mine it would increase possible audience.

In attachment is IP-based map of registrations to our yesterday's meetup, we did not plan to have anyone from outside of Estonia, so it come unexpected, but to think about it – it is good argument for more cross-border visibility as benefit for user groups in small countries.

Hi!

The current events policy (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval) specifically says that we do *not* include meetups, unless it's the first one. The reason is that there are so many of those meetups that they'd often be the only thing listed.

The long term plan has been that we'd like to have a *separate* listing of all meetups, so they don't "flood" the main listing. And yes, including something like a geographical map of them has been considered for this as well. "Small Matter Of Programming" required to set up a separate section for it, but definitely something we should do. Including something like people being able to register a meetup from meetup.com and then having us automatically populate a calendar from that.