Re: PL/PgSQL INTO (used to be BUG #8870) - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Marti Raudsepp
Subject Re: PL/PgSQL INTO (used to be BUG #8870)
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> But the claim about "exactly matching" data types is completely bogus, too

My bad. I remember having a hard time with matching data types in
PL/pgSQL in one instance, but turns out that was with RETURN QUERY,
not INTO.

Anyway, I'd prefer adding an explicit warning about the non-strict
behavior. How about:

"The number of columns returned by the query is not checked to match
target variables. Superfluous target variables are assigned the value
NULL.
When a record variable is the target, it automatically
configures itself to the row type of the query result columns."

Regards,
Marti