Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Evan D. Hoffman
Subject Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID
Date
List pgsql-general
I'd expect to use a RAID controller with either BBU or NVRAM cache to handle that, and that the server itself would be on UPS for a production DB.  That said, a standby replica DB on conventional disk is definitely a good idea in any case.

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Evan D. Hoffman
<evandhoffman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure of your space requirements, but I'd think a RAID 10 of 8x or more
> Samsung 840 Pro 256/512 GB would be the best value.  Using a simple mirror
> won't get you the reliability that you want since heavy writing will burn
> the drives out over time, and if you're writing the exact same content to
> both drives, they could likely fail at the same time.  Regardless of the
> underlying hardware you should still follow best practices for provisioning
> disks, and raid 10 is the way to go.  I don't know what your budget is
> though.  Anyway, mirrored SSD will probably work fine, but I'd avoid using
> just two drives for the reasons above.  I'd suggest at least testing RAID 5
> or something else to spread the load around.  Personally, I think the ideal
> configuration would be a RAID 10 of at least 8 disks plus 1 hot spare.  The
> Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB are frequently $200 on sale at Newegg.  YMMV but they
> are amazing drives.

Samsung 840 has no power loss protection and is therefore useless for
database use IMO unless you don't care about data safety and/or are
implementing redundancy via some other method (say, by synchronous
replication).

merlin