Re: How to print application_name in log_line_prefix (using %a)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tianyin Xu
Subject Re: How to print application_name in log_line_prefix (using %a)?
Date
List pgsql-general
Got it! Thanks, Chris!

I still wonder why application_name appears in the configuration file if it cannot take effort :-P

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Tianyin Xu <tixu@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Chris!
>
> Yes, the manual said that "It is typically set by an application upon
> connection to the server." exactly your approach.
>
> But the examples you gave me is to print the application_name in the query
> results, aren't they? Do you know how to make it as the prefix of the local
> log messages?

The examples I gave configure the application_name for a given
connection. Everything that connection does will then get logged with
that name, if you use %a. You can also see that name in
pg_stat_activity.

ChrisA