Re: submake-errcodes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jacob Champion
Subject Re: submake-errcodes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> writes:
>> Is it worth exploring the idea of changing to a non-recursive style of
>> makefile?
>
> Not post-feature-freeze, for sure.  Whether it's worth the work as a
> long-term project, I dunno.

I've been taking a look at this in my limited free time, so I might as
well publicly register my interest here. Moving to non-recursive Make
will probably be quite a bit of work/pain, but I also think it's
probably worth it in the end.

(We make heavy use of automated builds, and having a complete
dependency graph should speed those up considerably, in addition to
the maintenance benefits already implied here.)

--Jacob