Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins
Date
Re: Donations to the PostgreSQL project using bitcoins  ("Gilberto Castillo" <gilberto.castillo@etecsa.cu>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 6:10 AM, damien clochard <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
> Le 11/04/2014 15:19, Michael Paquier a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While looking at the donation page of Postgres, I noticed that there
>> is nothing to be able to give donations in bitcoins. I imagine that it
>> could be nice to add a bitcoin wallet address that people could use to
>> send donations to the PostgreSQL project, and have of course the
>> wallet being managed by the same entity/people as the other money
>> donations. Bitcoin public addresses have the disadvantage to show how
>> many bitcoins a given address has received, but receiving even a
>> little is better than nothing. The wallet address published on
>> postgresql.org could also be changed periodically if showing the total
>> amount received since the existence of the address is a problem.
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> I think this question should be asked to the various non-profit
> organizations among the community (SPI, PGUS, PG Europe, etc.) and each
> one may have a different answer depending on how they want to handle
> donations and money in general.
Sure. Makes sense.

> Speaking for the PGFR association, donations are not a primary source of
> income for us and we don't have plans to develop it (we prefer focusing
> on getting more members). Furthermore we already have 3 different ways
> to accept payments (including paypal) and it's a lot of work to keep up
> with everything, so we're currently trying to simplify it and handling
> bitcoins does not seem simple at all :)
Depends on your viewpoint:
1) Create a wallet
2) Post an address to receive payments
3) Exchange it for real money on existing platforms. Surely the blocking part...
--
Michael