Re: array size exceeds the maximum allowed (1073741823) when building a json - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: array size exceeds the maximum allowed (1073741823) when building a json
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 06/07/2016 08:42 AM, Nicolas Paris wrote:
>>     You have to do something different.  Using multiple columns and/or
>>     multiple rows might we workable.
>>

>> Certainly. Kind of disappointing, because I won't find any json builder
>> as performant as postgresql.
>
> That's nice to hear.
>
>> Will this 1GO restriction is supposed to increase in a near future ?
>
> Not planned, no.  Thing is, that's the limit for a field in general, not
> just JSON; changing it would be a fairly large patch.  It's desireable,
> but AFAIK nobody is working on it.

And there are other things to consider on top of that, like the
maximum allocation size for palloc, the maximum query string size,
COPY, etc. This is no small project, and the potential side-effects
should not be underestimated.
--
Michael