Re: [pgsql-www] Where to put shared designs/images - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Where to put shared designs/images
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>>> I think github (or maybe bitbucket, does mercurial have the same
>>> issues as git for dealing with images?) is probably the way to go. we
>>> need something where people can do social coding without a lot of
>>> permissions overhead. (As an example, our graphic designer did some
>>> work on the postgres logos for LISA this year, but couldn't get past
>>> the pgfoundry process to give that back publicly; if it had been on
>>> github, it would have been much simpler to do a pull request).
>> Definitely. A simple idea would be to create a git repo dedicated to
>> advocacy in the organization "postgres" of github
>> (https://github.com/postgres/). Push permissions can be handled easily
>> from there. My 2c.
>> Regards,
>
> So I'm happy with github as a choice.  However, I don't know that
> there's any way to do "link to the latest version of raw file X", so
> we'd still want to publish stuff to FTP.postgresql.org, no?
>
> Probably not everything, though -- if we were selective, we'd avoid the
> space issue.
AFAIK, github supports such URLs, aka linking to the latest version of
a file on a branch:
https://github.com/$ORGANIZATION/$REPO/blob/$BRANCH/$PATH_TO/$FILE
Here is for example the URL pointing to the latest version of Makefile
of root folder in Postgres for branch master:
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/Makefile
The trick is not to change the file path and/or the file name.
--
Michael