Re: Does PG support bulk operation in embedded C - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Does PG support bulk operation in embedded C
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Ravi Krishna <srkrishna@gmx.com> wrote:
> Essentially in one single sql call, we can do
> -- Add new rows
> -- Update a set of rows where each row is identified by a bookmark
> -- Delete a set of rows where each row is identified by a bookmark
> -- Fetch a set of rows where each row is identified by a bookmark
>
> This gives tremendous performance benefits as the network round trip is
> avoided for each sql.
>
> I am looking for an equivalent of this in PG and C language.

What you are looking at could be accomplished with a user-defined function:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xfunc.html
Perhaps you are looking for something in C, now it would be less
complex to do it for example with pl/pgsql or another language, and
call it from a C client with a correct set of arguments satisfying
your needs.
--
Michael