Re: Anybody care about having the verbose form of the tzdata files? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Anybody care about having the verbose form of the tzdata files?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>> On 20 Nov 2017, at 21:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Anybody here actually care about reading the zone data files?
>
> I doubt there is anyone who cares about that who isn’t already consuming the
> upstream data.

Perhaps I do. If this set of files gets removed and replaced by the zi
file, is it possible to still know easily which files are being
removed during a minor upgrade? When doing minor upgrades of a MSI
installer (Windows, yeah!), I need to keep track of files that get
deleted or a minor upgrade would simply fail. The tweak that I have is
to list them and recreate them as empty. The thing is ugly as hell,
but I need to be able to track which files are being removed easily.
And as far as I am checking, for example taking the rather recent
example of Riyadh87 in commit e04641f4, src/timezone/data allows to
keep easily track of files removed. If this gets removed, I am pretty
convinced that this tracking gets more complicated.
--
Michael