Re: How to recover or resent the password for the user 'postgres' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: How to recover or resent the password for the user 'postgres'
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Arup Rakshit <aruprakshit@rocketmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to follow what has been mentioned below **Setting Up Postgres** (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-ruby-on-rails-with-postgres).

But no luck!

[shreyas@myapp(add_postgres_addapter)]$ su - postgres
Password:
su: Sorry
[shreyas@myapp (add_postgres_addapter)]$

It is asking me the password, whereas I don't know the password of the user `postgres`. How would I create a new role with a password in this case ?

The user whose password has visibly been lost is not the database user postgres, but the OS user postgres. If you have root on this server access, simply enforce the password to a new value.
--
Michael