Re: Git host for postgresql related projects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sumit Raja
Subject Re: Git host for postgresql related projects
Date
List pgsql-general
Assembla does free git repositories as well http://www.assembla.com/

On 14 April 2013 05:22, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. <francisco@npgsql.org> wrote:

Hi, Magnus!

How you doing?

Today I have a "mirror" at github which I'm using to test and learn git and it seems to be very good. Git is very powerful and it is easy to understand why many are working on it.

Thanks for your help and advice on this subject.

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
<francisco@npgsql.org> wrote:

> Hi all!
>

> I was thinking about moving Npgsql from cvs to another SCM. Possibly git.
>
> I'd like to know if there is any postgresql project host which supports git
> which you could recommend.
>
> I know there is git.postgresql.org and github.
>
> From the new repository page of git.postgresql.org it says: "[...] If you
> want to to use git, while also getting some of the features that are on
> pgfoundry, we strongly advise you to look at github. [...]"
>
> It would be better for me, then, to use github? As this clearly is my case.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

I would suggest going with github. They provide you with a bunch of
services like a wiki and an issue tracker that you will not get from
git.postgesql.org. They also provide you with the "social coding"
stuff or whatever they call it (their forking/pull request/whatnot
stuff) if you like it - but you can also just use it as a pure git
repo if you prefer.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Raja Consulting Ltd.
Incorporated in England and Wales No. 06454814,  Registered Office: 4 Calder Court, Shorebury Point, Amy Johnson Way, Blackpool FY4 2RH