Re: best config - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roberto Scattini
Subject Re: best config
Date
List pgsql-general
hi steven,

> we have two new dell poweredge r720. based on recommendations from this
> list we have configued the five disks in raid10 + 1 hot spare.
>
> You might mention a bit more about how your drives are configured.  5
> drives in a RAID1+0 sounds odd to me.

i mean, 4 disks in raid10, plus one disk as hot spare.

also, wasn't this list where recommended this setup, was in debian-user.

> > now we are looking for advice in the postgres installation for our setup.
> >
> > we have two databases. one for a lot of small apps and one for one big
> app with a lot of data and a lot of usage.
> > we want to use streaming replication to have a functional copy of
> databases in a failure.
> >
> > one of the ideas is to have one database running on each server, and
> then have another instance of the other database running in streaming
> replication (i mean, crossed replications).
> >
> > the other idea is to have both databases running in one server and
> backup everything in the other with streaming replication.
> >
> > which alternative would you use?
>
> I would not introduce the complexity of having each server be master for
> half of the data unless you can show that this improves some metric you
> care a lot about.  Any failure or maintenance event will revert you back to
> the common configuration -- back to having both masters on one system --
> until you do another promotion back to the "cross wired" setup.  Extra work
> without a proposed gain.
>
> Plus then you can get away with half as many Postgres installs to maintain.

ok. we thought in this crossed-replication config because one heavy query
in one of the databases wouldnt affect the performance of the other.

--
Roberto Scattini