Re: 2021-08-12 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: 2021-08-12 release announcement draft
Date
Re: 2021-08-12 release announcement draft  ("Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for drafting this up.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 at 04:32, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Please ensure you have your feedback in no later than midnight today
> (Aug 11) AoE[1].

It might not be the exact technical feedback you had in mind, but I
think the following could be improved:

+ This release marks the third beta release of PostgreSQL 14 and puts the
+ community one step closer to general availability this fall.

I think the above wording is pretty good if your audience was entirely
based in, or at least expected to be based in North America.  The
people from the South of India might have been under the impression
that the release was shortly after the monsoon season ended.  The
people from the Nothern parts of Australia likely think it's around
when the wet season starts. The people from temperate parts of the
Southern hemisphere think it's in the Spring. The people in the UK
think it's in Autumn.

I'd really like to see us move away from using seasons as an indicator
of when something is occurring when the audience is based all over the
world.

Maybe something like "one step closer to general availability around
the start of the final quarter of 2021" would have more meaning to the
rest of the world?

David