Re: Email raw text to HTML - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jacob Champion
Subject Re: Email raw text to HTML
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 7:04 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Sahil Harpal <sahilharpal1234@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I am curious about how Gmail converts plain text (Raw data) mail into a beautiful interface. Is there any library
orsomething that will help us to transform plain text into HTML?
> > I am aiming to represent text (email message body) as it is being displayed in any mailing services like gmail,
yahooor outlook. The motive is the text should be readable. It is not just about enclosing previous replies in the
blockquotetag but we can even handle bold, italic, bullets, tables etc.

> As a regular user of gmail, I think that would be a bad way to go. I
> find gmails way of rendering emails is particularly bad when it comes
> to things like inline code snippets etc. For one, it insists on not
> using a monospace font...

Quick +1 here... I love Gmail, but for some threads I have to escape
it and pull up Thunderbird (which monospaces correctly) or jump to the
website. And I manually align parts of my mail for readability (e.g.
[1]). If the website adopted the same strategy as Gmail, I would be
sad.

--Jacob

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/55c7c8ef-8bc7-22ce-f240-dc3eaa14e34e@timescale.com