unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Tubbs
Subject unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I'm trying to learn about how to subscribe to events in a logical replication slot.  I'm finding that the documentation is sparse and mostly focused on binary WAL replication.  I'd like to get a toy example working where I can see changes in my terminal. I'm able to create a replication slot, but trying to start it results in the error in the subject of my email:

psql "dbname=postgres replication=database user=postgres" -c "CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT foobar LOGICAL test_decoding"
 slot_name | consistent_point | snapshot_name | output_plugin
-----------+------------------+---------------+---------------
 foobar    | 0/D9C59A60       | 0000127E-1    | test_decoding
(1 row)

psql "dbname=postgres user=postgres" -c "SELECT slot_name, plugin, restart_lsn FROM pg_replication_slots"

 slot_name |    plugin     | restart_lsn
 foobar    | test_decoding | 0/D9C59A28
(1 row)

psql "dbname=postgres replication=database user=postgres" -c "START_REPLICATION SLOT foobar LOGICAL 0/D9C59A28"
unexpected PQresultStatus: 8

Advice?
Many thanks,
Brent