Re: unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Tubbs
Subject Re: unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication
Date
List pgsql-general
I mixed up my email threads.  I was following http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/postgres-9-4-feature-highlight-logical-replication-protocol/

Looking back at it now, I can see that it didn't use psql to call START_REPLICATION.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2015-01-10 10:24:56 -0800, Brent Tubbs wrote:
> That's working!  The blog posts I linked earlier

Which blogpost is that? At least this thread doesn't seem to contain a
reference.

> made me think that I had to explicitly call START_REPLICATION, but I
> guess that's not necessary?

START_REPLICATION over a replication connection is the streaming variant
of logical decoding. Unfortunately psql can't deal with that (and it
doesn't make sense to support it, as you need to send back feedback
messages and such). The SQL function Michael linked to are there for
easier accessibility, but don't support streaming. Other than that,
they're the same.

Hope that clears up things a bit?

Greetings,

Andres Freund