[PERFORM] OS cache management - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Soni M
Subject [PERFORM] OS cache management
Date
Re: [SPAM] [PERFORM] OS cache management
List pgsql-performance
Hello All, I would like to know about how OS cache works for postgres table and index file.

Let's say I have 10 year data, and commonly used data only the last 1 year. This data is quite big, so each table and index file is divided into several file in PGDATA/base

Let's say 1 index named order_by_date has relfilenode = 1870772348, and it's file consist of 1870772348, 1870772348.1, and 1870772348.2

And for oftenly queried 1 year data, do ALL files for the order_by_date pushed to OS cache ? or it's just 1 file that contains index to this 1 year data.

How about index named order_by_customer, will ALL the index files pushed to OS cache ?

Can someone please explain about how OS cache works for this condition.

Thanks very much for the explanation.

--
Regards,

Soni Maula Harriz