Re: Indexing MS/Open Office and PDF documents - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dennis jenkins
Subject Re: Indexing MS/Open Office and PDF documents
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 01:57 +0530, Alexander.Bagerman@cognizant.com
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are looking to use Postgres 9 for the document storing and would
>> like to take advantage of the full text search capabilities. We have
>> hard time identifying MS/Open Office and PDF parsers to index stored
>> documents and make them available for text searching. Any advice would
>> be appreciated.
>
> The first step is to find a library that can parse such documents, or
> convert them to a format that can be parsed.

I don't know about MS-Office document parsing, but the "PoDoFo" (pdf
parsing library) can strip text from PDFs.  Every now and then someone
posts to the podofo mailing list with questions related to extracting
text for the purposes of indexing it in FTS capable database.  Podofo
has excellent developer support.  The maintainer is quick to accept
patches, verify bugs, add features, etc...   Disclaimer: I'm not a pdf
nor podofo expert.  I can't help you accomplish what you want.