Re: Why should such a simple query over indexed columns be so slow? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alessandro Gagliardi
Subject Re: Why should such a simple query over indexed columns be so slow?
Date
Re: Why should such a simple query over indexed columns be so slow?  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
You can do "SHOW random_page_cost" yourself right now, too.

4

I also tried "SHOW seq_page_cost" and that's 1.

Looking at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-query.html#GUC-RANDOM-PAGE-COST I wonder if I should try reducing random_page_cost?

Something that might help when it comes to advice on performance tuning is that this database is used only for analytics. It's essentially a partial replication of a production (document-oriented) database. So a lot of normal operations that might employ a series of sequential fetches may not actually be the norm in my case. Rather, I'm doing a lot of counts on data that is typically randomly distributed.

Thanks,

-Alessandro