Re: Why should such a simple query over indexed columns be so slow? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alessandro Gagliardi
Subject Re: Why should such a simple query over indexed columns be so slow?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I set random_page_cost to 2 (with enable_seqscan on) and get the same performance I got with enable_seqscan off.
So far so good. Now I just need to figure out how to set it globally. :-/

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Alessandro Gagliardi
<alessandro@path.com> wrote:
> Looking
> at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-query.html#GUC-RANDOM-PAGE-COST
> I wonder if I should try reducing random_page_cost?

Yes try lowering it.  Generally speaking, random page cost should
always be >= seq page cost.  Start with a number between 1.5 and 2.0
to start with and see if that helps.   You can make it "sticky" for
your user or database with alter user or alter database...