Re: VPATH build from a tarball fails with some gmake versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: VPATH build from a tarball fails with some gmake versions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I tried doing a VPATH build referencing a source directory that I'd distclean'd
> but not maintainer-clean'd, which should simulate the case of a VPATH
> build from a tarball.  I was quite surprised that it fell over:

> gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels
-Wmissing-format-attribute-Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g -O2 -I. -I/home/postgres/pgsql/src/bin/psql
-I/home/postgres/pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq-I../../../src/include -I/home/postgres/pgsql/src/include  -D_GNU_SOURCE
-c-o sql_help.o sql_help.c
> gcc: sql_help.c: No such file or directory
> gcc: no input files
> make[3]: *** [sql_help.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/buildroot/src/bin/psql'
>
> gmake should be generating a path to sql_help.c, since that exists
> in the corresponding source directory, but it does not.  I can reproduce
> this on RHEL6 with make-3.81-23, but not on Fedora 26 with make-4.2.1-2,
> and (curiously) also not on High Sierra with Apple's copy of make 3.81.
> I wonder how many other people see it.
>
> The attached patch seems to fix it, indicating that there's something
> about the rules relating sql_help.c and sql_help.h that is confusing
> make, such that turning sql_help.c into the primary target for the
> create_help rule removes the confusion.

Very odd. I can't reproduce it on Centos6 with make 3.81.23 and a
downloaded tarball.

cheers

andrew