Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold < - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold <
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Ants Aasma <ants.aasma@eesti.ee> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It seems that for read-only workloads, MaintainOldSnapshotTimeMapping()
> >> takes EXCLUSIVE LWLock which seems to be a probable reason for a performance
> >> regression.  Now, here the question is do we need to acquire that lock if
> >> xmin is not changed since the last time value of
> >> oldSnapshotControl->latest_xmin is updated or xmin is lesser than equal to
> >> oldSnapshotControl->latest_xmin?
> >> If we don't need it for above cases, I think it can address the performance
> >> regression to a good degree for read-only workloads when the feature is
> >> enabled.
> >
> > Thanks, Amit -- I think something along those lines is the right
> > solution to the scaling issues when the feature is enabled.  For
> > now I'm focusing on the back-patching issues and the performance
> > regression when the feature is disabled, but I'll shift focus to
> > this once the "killer" issues are in hand.
>
> I had an idea I wanted to test out. The gist of it is to effectively
> have the last slot of timestamp to xid map stored in the latest_xmin
> field and only update the mapping when slot boundaries are crossed.
> See attached WIP patch for details. This way the exclusive lock only
> needs to be acquired once per minute.

Why at all do we need to acquire Exclusive lock if xmin is not changing at all?  Also, I think your proposed patch can effect the update of xid's for existing mappings.  In particular, I am talking about below code:

else if (ts <= (oldSnapshotControl->head_timestamp +((oldSnapshotControl->count_used - 1)* USECS_PER_MINUTE)))

{

/* existing mapping; advance xid if possible */

After your patch, it might skip the update to existing mappings which doesn't seem to be a good thing.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.