Re: Logical replication from PG v13 and below to PG v14 (devel version) is not working. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Logical replication from PG v13 and below to PG v14 (devel version) is not working.
Date
Re: Logical replication from PG v13 and below to PG v14 (devel version) is not working.  (Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 8:34 AM Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 6:58 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 6:27 PM Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Dilip for the patch. AFAIU, the fix looks good. One small comment:
> > >

> > Thanks Ashutosh and Dilip for working on this. I'll look into it in a
> > day or two.
> >

> Just a thought:
>
> Should we change the sequence of these #define in
> src/include/replication/logicalproto.h?
>
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MIN_VERSION_NUM 1
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM 2
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_VERSION_NUM 1
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MAX_VERSION_NUM LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM
>
> I would have changed above to something like this:
>
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_VERSION_NUM 1
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM 2
>
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MIN_VERSION_NUM  LOGICALREP_PROTO_VERSION_NUM
> #define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MAX_VERSION_NUM LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM

I am not sure if this suggestion makes it better than what is purposed
by Dilip but I think we can declare them in define number order like
below:
#define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MIN_VERSION_NUM 1
#define LOGICALREP_PROTO_VERSION_NUM 1
#define LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM 2
#define LOGICALREP_PROTO_MAX_VERSION_NUM LOGICALREP_PROTO_STREAM_VERSION_NUM

Another thing is can we also test by having a publisher of v14 and
subscriber of v13 or prior version, just reverse of what Ashutosh has
tested?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.