Re: A question about wording in messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: A question about wording in messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 2:07 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:29:52 +0530, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote in
> > So, the change related to wal_decode_buffer_size needs to be
> > backpatched to 15 whereas other message changes will be HEAD only, am
> > I correct?
>
> Has 15 closed the entry?  IMHO I supposed that all changes are applied
> back(?) to 15.

We only want to commit the changes to 15 (a) if those fixes a problem
introduced in 15, or (b) those are for a bug fix. I think the error
message improvements fall into none of those categories, we can map it
to (b) but I feel those are an improvement in the current messages and
don't seem critical to me.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.