Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 4:39 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 04:54:36PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > Also, the patch seems to be allowing subscription relations from PG
> > >=10 to be migrated but how will that work if the corresponding
> > publisher is also upgraded without slots? Won't the corresponding
> > workers start failing as soon as you restart the upgrade server? Do we
> > need to document the steps for users?
>
> Hmm?  How is that related to the upgrade of the subscribers?

It is because after upgrade of both publisher and subscriber, the
subscriptions won't work. Both publisher and subscriber should work,
otherwise, the logical replication set up won't work. I think we can
probably do this, if we can document clearly how the user can make
their logical replication set up work after upgrade.

>  And how
> is that different from the case where a subscriber tries to connect
> back to a publisher where a slot has been dropped?

It is different because we don't drop slots automatically anywhere else.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.