Re: Re: Group role not shown in properties > Default Privileges after adding it - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Aren Cambre
Subject Re: Re: Group role not shown in properties > Default Privileges after adding it
Date
Re: Group role not shown in properties > Default Privileges after adding it
List pgadmin-support

This doesn't make sense. If I create a login role, it should show up here and allow me to assign it to arbitrary tables.

That's intentional (and configurable): see http://www.pgadmin.org/support/faq.php#UserPrivileges

Argh, thanks. Now I remember running into this before.

This needs to be more clearly explained in the UI. I am an IT pro, and I totally understand the best practice of assigning groups and not users. But if you are imposing this rule on us, you need to make this clear in the UI and not send users on a wild goose chase. In this case, neither the UI nor the pgAdmin docs clearly explained this. I'd have to troll through a FAQ to figure it out.

In my case, I am the only user of the DB, and there are a small number of accounts, so it's much easier for me to directly assign users.

In the end, this is just a recommended practice, not a Postgres rule. The UI should not make our lives miserable if we don't want to follow the recommendation.

Aren