Re: New key shortcuts for query window - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: New key shortcuts for query window
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On 12 July 2011 10:59, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think the SQL query window should have a File > Close menu item,
>> which maps to Ctrl+W (or Apple+W in the case of a Mac).  This is easy
>> to add.
>
> We already have File -> Exit, which uses Ctrl+W. On the Mac, that
> currently gets mapped to pgAdmin3 -> Quit pgAdmin3, which is Cmd+Q.

But Cmd+Q tends to mean quit application rather than exit window, at
least it does in all the other apps I use.  And I don't have a
File>Exit on my Query window in PgAdmin on the Mac.

> That could certainly be cleaned up on frmQuery, but should also be
> done on other forms at the same time.

Yes, not sure how many other forms need updating.

>> But something else I want to change isn't so easy.  I'd like
>> Execute to be mapped to Ctrl+R (as it's much easier to use in OSX
>> since F keys are far less used since they need to be used in
>> combination with the fn key).  This is already mapped to F5, and it's
>> easy to make it work with both, but I can't get the menu item to
>> display both mappings because of how wxMenuItem::Append works.  It
>> appears you can only specify one accelerator per menu item.  You can
>> add another menu item for the additional key binding, but that looks
>> rubbish.
>>
>> Any idea if it's possible to show both key bindings on the same item?
>>
>> e.g. Execute   F5/Ctrl+R
>
> No, I don't believe you can, because wxWidgets menus try to interpret
> the string after \t in the text to auto-create the accelerator keys.

Darn. :(

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion