Re: Unhelpful initdb error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Unhelpful initdb error message
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6 March 2012 16:40, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:24:20 am Thom Brown wrote:
>>

>> No, only the ones running as the postgres user.
>
> In my original read, I missed the part you had the Ubuntu/Debian packaged
> version running.
>

>> Here's the contents of the pid file in /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/
>>
>> 1199
>> /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main
>> 1330883367
>> 5432
>> /var/run/postgresql
>> localhost
>>   5432001         0
>>
>> And if I start my development copy, this is the content of its
>> postmaster.pid:
>>
>> 27061
>> /home/thom/Development/data
>> 1331050950
>> 5488
>> /tmp
>> localhost
>>   5488001 191365126
>
> So how are getting the file above? I thought initdb refused to init the directory
> and that you could not find pid file it was referring to? Just on a hunch, what is
> in /tmp?

I got the above output when I created a new data directory and initdb'd it.

/tmp shows:

     4 -rw-------  1 thom    thom           55 2012-03-06 16:22
.s.PGSQL.5488.lock
     0 srwxrwxrwx  1 thom    thom            0 2012-03-06 16:22 .s.PGSQL.5488

Once it's up and running.  These disappear after though.  When using
the old data directory again, there's no evidence of anything like
this in /tmp.

--
Thom